What is the Marksmanship Qualification Program?
The NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program (MQP) is a self-paced skill development program with courses of fire suitable for everyone, from beginner to experienced shooter. Progression is self-paced and scores are challenging at some levels but attainable. Performance is measured against established par scores and participants who meet or exceed those scores are entitled to recognition awards (purchase may be necessary) for the rating(s) achieved.
Consider the MQP a fun and practical marksmanship drill that structures your shooting with set courses of fire. Challenge yourself to improve and maintain your skills!
Levels of MarksmanshipSkill Ratings
MARKSMAN 1ST CLASS
How to Get Started with the MQP!
1. Choose your Qualification Program(s)
The following NRA MQP Qualiification Programs are currently administered at the Fairbanks Fish and Game Indoor Range. You can work on mutliple "Quals" or just focus on one at a time. Visit the range during Walk-in Public Use Hours and get started!
- .22 RIFLE (RIMFIRE)
Bench/Prone, Standing, and 3-Position.
Revolver or Semi-Automatic, .22 up to .45-caliber, within range capabilities. No magnum ammunition.
- BULLSEYE PISTOL
NRA Precision Pistol ("Bullseye") form of pistol shooting. 50-ft, off-hand (fired one handed), with Slow, Timed, and Rapid-Fire stages.
3. Work on your Annual Qualification(s)
Follow the Qual Sheets (provided at the range) that explain the qualification course of fire and details. Ask a range staff member if you have questions. Start with the Pro-Marksman level and work your way up through the Expert level. Sign up with a range staff member to fire your Distinguished Expert ("DE") level when ready. We schedule "DE" Sessions in advance.
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game Indoor Shooting Range in Fairbanks offers and administers, with approval from the NRA, select Qualifications from the NRA MQP in an effort to:
- Provide members of the public who visit the range with an opportunity to work on and improve their marksmanship and firearm handling and safety skills through regular, structured, practice.
- Provide a practical and easy-to-begin marksmanship program that encourages participants to visit the range on a regular basis to help maintain marksmanship and firearm safety skills.
- Provide progressively more challenging levels for marksmanship training.
- Provide recognition to members of the public who participate in the MQP and improve their marksmanship and firearm handling and safety skills.
2023 Pistol Qualification
DISTINGUISHED EXPERT SESSIONS
- Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 4 p.m.
- Thursday, November 2, 2023 - 7 p.m.
- Friday, December 8, 2023 - 2 p.m.
- Saturday, December 9, 2023 - 4 p.m.
- Friday, December 29, 2023 - 2 p.m.
- Saturday, December 30, 2023 - 4 p.m.
Sign up with a range staff member during Walk-in Public Use Hours when you are ready to fire the Distinguished Expert level.
DE Sessions are scheduled in advance and are space limited. DE rating must be achieved during the calendar year to be eligible for firearm awards.
Subject to revision.