NRA BASICS OF PERSONAL PROTECTION IN THE HOME
(Advanced Class with Prerequisites)
DESCRIPTION: This course teaches the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to form a personal protection strategy in the home. The course covers 1) safety; 2) mental preparation; 3) developing defensive shooting skills; 4) strategies for home and personal safety; 5) firearms; and 6) ammunition and accessories for personal protection. Learn and discuss the levels of awareness and how to develop a plan to either avoid confrontation or react in the face of it. Learn how to respond to various situations one might encounter in home protection. Learn and practice defensive shooting techniques one might use in a home situation. Learn about the use of firearms in self-defense and the law. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection in the Home, a comprehensive textbook.
Students will need to bring to class:
- Gun: revolver or semi-automatic of .38 special or 9mm or greater caliber is recommended; if you'd like to shoot a different caliber firearm contact the instructor for approval
- If using a revolver, bring at least two speed loaders, if using a semi-automatic, bring at least
- 150 rounds of factory ammunition. No reloaded ammunition is allowed. Factory ammunition only.
- Eye and ear protection
- A gun rug (or small case) to secure your gun when not in use
WHO MAY ATTEND: This course is for law-abiding adult citizens who have sufficient maturity and life experiences to be able to assess various situations and make mature decisions. This is not a basic pistol class. The student should already be able to shoot a group, zero a firearm, and clear the firearm. The student should already be able to load, fire, and unload their firearm, safely. This class is limited to ten students. To attend this class, students must have completed one of the following prerequisites:
1. Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit Class (bring certificate of completion)
2. NRA Basic Pistol Class (bring card or certificate of completion)
3. NRA First Steps Pistol Class (bring card or certificate of completion)
4. NRA Pistol Competitive Shooting Qualification Card (bring card)
5. Military DD 214 with Pistol Qualification (bring proof)
6. Arrange with the instructor to pre-qualify (If you feel you have the necessary safety and firearms handling experience, we offer a short pre-qualification session.)
INSTRUCTOR: The lead instructor for this class is Laura Berkowitz (Alaska Firearms Instruction). Laura is an NRA certified instructor. A certified law enforcement officer conducts the law portion of the class.
FEE: $165 (For active duty military and seniors, $155.)
DATES: This class is typically offered quarterly or as demand warrants. See the Registration page for a list of currently scheduled classes. *
* If the class date you prefer is showing full in online registration, please contact us. We may be able to make other arrangements to accommodate you or put you on a waiting list.
This class is offered in association with AIM-COMM, the Alaska Interior Marksmanship Committee, a non-profit 401(C)(3) corporation. AIM-COMM’s purpose is to foster the development of marksmanship, the safe and ethical use of firearms and to support and promote use of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Hunter Education Indoor Shooting Range, in Fairbanks, Alaska.